The Trans Anatolian Natural Gas Pipeline Project (TANAP) is committed to safe, high quality and environmentally and socially responsible design, as part of the construction and operation of a natural gas transmission pipeline system which will support the economic development of the country while protecting the sustainability of natural resources. TANAP will provide the necessary resources and strives for establishment and maintenance of an effective environmental management system to prevent pollution in line with this overall objective.
TANAP achieves these commitments as follows:
- Throughout the planning phase, TANAP has assessed the environmental aspects and key impacts related to the Project activities with national and international consultants. Subsequently, TANAP prepared a comprehensive ESIA Report which is being consulted with the stakeholders and approved of by authorities.
- Due consideration was given to all applicable requirements specified in Turkish Environmental Legislation, as well as international standards and best practices prevailing in the Natural Gas Pipeline industry
- All environmentally sensitive constraints along the pipeline route, including ecology, archaeology, soil and water resources, have been identified by detailed surveys and investigations. Through these studies, 9 fauna species, 1 flora species and 106 archaeological sites have been discovered which were previously unknown to the world of science.
- Special protective measures have been integrated into pipeline route selection process and design activities so that potential environmental impacts to environmentally sensitive areas are proactively avoided or mitigated properly;
- Effective environmental management plans and procedures for construction and operation phases have been developed to mitigate unfavorable changes and also improve positive impacts of the project;
- An effective and constructive engagement strategy has been established to achieve mutual understanding between project stakeholders and TANAP, where they can participate and be consulted in decision making process of the project.
- TANAP will monitor and measure its Environmental Management System which was established by considering all these studies and objectives, and set new objectives and targets to ensure that environmental performance is continually improved at all levels of the project.
- TANAP will continually demonstrate in all occasions its fulfilment to these commitments to improve TANAP’s vision and enhance Environmental Culture.